Apple Books digital narration brings together advanced speech synthesis technology with important work by teams of linguists, quality control specialists, and audio engineers to produce high-quality audiobooks from an ebook file. Apple has long been on the forefront of innovative speech technology, and has now adapted it for long-form reading, working alongside publishers, authors, and narrators. Now all PublishDrive users can take advantage of this new technology as part of our distribution network.
How does it work?
Within the PublishDrive platform, the Apple Books digital narration feature appears as a distribution option for your uploaded ebooks. By selecting 'enable', users can effortlessly join the ranks of audiobook creators.
From there, Apple Books employs its cutting-edge technology to create the audiobook. You can choose from a range of voices tailored to genres like fiction, romance, mystery &thriller, and science fiction & fantasy. Voices for self- development and non-fiction genres are also on the horizon, expanding the creative possibilities for authors and publishers.
As per Apple's terms, "By using the service (Apple Books Digital Narration), I acknowledge that Apple owns all rights, title and interest in and to the audiobooks created by Apple Audio AI, including all worldwide copyrights and other intellectual property rights therein. This exclusive disclaimer only applies to audiobooks created by Apple AI, not applicable to other audio files created by a human or other software. The rights of those products will remain with the author of the original content." Participation becomes accessible upon the acceptance of these terms. Additionally, users are required to commit to a minimum participation period of six months.
Titles are evaluated by Apple Books based on several criteria, including file quality, content compatibility (limited complexity and foreign language, for example), and editorial review. Please note that submitted titles are not guaranteed to pass synthesis. If a book is accepted into the program, authors and publishers are encouraged to maintain their participation for at least six months. These operational aspects are governed by Apple's policies and should be taken into account when participating in Apple Books digital narration program via PublishDrive.
Upon submission of your book for participation in Apple Books digital narration, we will apply a formula to determine the list price of the resulting audiobook. This price will be calculated as double the ebook's price, with a minimum of $4.99.
Here are some examples:
- Ebook: $0.99 -> audiobook: $4.99
- Ebook: $2.99 -> audiobook: $6.99
- Ebook: $4.99 -> audiobook: $9.99
- Ebook: $9.99 -> audiobook: $19.99
It's important to note that, due to Apple Books' use of fixed price tiers, the prices will be calculated to ensure alignment within these tiers.
What are the advantages?
Participating in Apple Books digital narration through PublishDrive offers a host of compelling advantages for authors and publishers:
- It provides a cost-effective solution to transform ebooks into audiobooks, saving authors potentially thousands of dollars in production expenses.
- By making these audiobooks available in Apple Books, creators can tap into a vast and lucrative market, potentially yielding substantial royalties without the need for extensive author involvement.
- Embracing this feature enhances accessibility, ensuring that individuals with disabilities can access and enjoy the books.
- The process is straightforward for authors – a simple click to "Enable" the "Apple Books digital narration" store sets the wheels in motion, with PublishDrive and Apple taking care of all the heavy lifting, making it a hassle-free experience for all parties involved.
- How to enable Apple Books digital narration You will find the option to enable Apple Books digital narration in the last step of the ebook upload process.
Once you've submitted your book and it has received approval from our review team, it will then be forwarded to the Apple Books AI narration program. It's important to keep in mind that while this submission is a significant step, participation is not guaranteed, as the Apple Books team carefully selects the most suitable candidates.