We accept all kinds of content, because we believe in freedom of expression. However, we review all books manually to ensure that none of the books infringe any rights or are hateful or offensive in any way. During the manual review process, we use guidelines similar to the major ebook stores, such as Amazon Kindle.
Your books and book related content (such as book titles, cover art and product descriptions) must adhere to these content guidelines. Additionally, some of the stores have their own specific standards your content will need to adhere to: they might not accept certain words in the description or require your book to be put in a specific category. We reserve the right to make judgements about whether content is appropriate and to choose not to offer it in some of the stores.
Restricted (adult) content
Adult content is typically recommended only for readers above 18+ years, because it contains erotic or violent scenes. A book has to be tagged as adult if it is not generally thought to be appropriate for viewing by children.
In this sense, Fifty Shades of Grey is considered to be adult content (in addition to being categorized as new adult/contemporary romance/erotica as well).
We accept adult content, but please make sure that your content still does not contain pornography.
We don’t accept pornography or offensive depictions of graphic sexual acts. This includes material falling under the following categories:
- Depiction (photo or drawing) of a child in a sexual situation, even without contact.
- Photographs of penetrative sex, oral/genital contact, or genitals.
- Textual encouragement to commit a crime (e.g. books supporting, encouraging or defending rape, pedophilia, incest or bestiality, or books detailing how to commit a sexual crime).
- Photographic content intended for the sole purpose of sexual arousal.
- Excessively objectionable or crude content.
What we deem offensive is in accordance with the UN hate speech guidelines and regulations. Users may not publish material that promotes hate toward groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity.
We also do not accept books that promote or encourage physical or verbal abuse towards children.
We do not accept books that promote cruelty against animals in any form.
The cover art of your book can’t depict Nazi symbolism as outlined in the Strafgesetzbuch section 86a if the content is cleared for sale in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, or any other country that restricts Nazi propaganda.
Illegal and Infringing Content
We take violations of law and proprietary rights very seriously. It is your responsibility to ensure that your content doesn’t violate law or copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other rights. Please be aware that freely available content doesn’t mean free to sell content – always obtain the rights before you sell something. This is true not only for text but also for images and fonts used.
Public Domain and Other Non-Exclusive Content
Please read our public domain policy here.
Publishers spamming us with multiple versions of the same or similar books may be blocked from distribution. This also includes books that share or use the same images, text, or other content, promotional books and commercial books.
Books that primarily consist of free and easily available content may be rejected. For example, we cannot accept books that repackage content from online sources such as open access encyclopedias, online forums and tutorials, or Q&A websites.
Poor Customer Experience
We don’t accept books that provide poor customer experience. We reserve the right to determine which content would fall under this guideline. See the Guide to Kindle Content Quality for examples of content that’s typically disappointing for customers.
Examples of unacceptable content include:
- Content that is either marketed as a subscription service or redirects readers to an external source to obtain the original text/full content.
- Content that is freely available on the web (unless you are the copyright owner of that content or the content is in the public domain).
- Content whose primary purpose is to solicit or advertise.
- Content that is a non-differentiated version of another book.
- Content that is poorly translated.
- Content that is best enjoyed printed: eg. coloring books or books readers need to cut out.
Content About Public Figures
We do not accept books that:
- re-use speeches, interviews and quotes available online from living public figures
- use cover images with photos of living public figures without their written permission
- biographies that were not authorized or permitted by their subject if it is a living public figure
If you have the right to publish and distribute these texts/images and collect the resulting royalties, please contact our Support Team and send us the appropriate documentation.