What do I need to submit?
To submit a valid POD book you need to upload two separate PDF files that we will use to print your book:
In addition to these files, you will also need to have an ISBN. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to distribute print-on-demand publications without ISBNs. To get one, please contact your local ISBN agency.
Cover file requirements
- File type: PDF
- We recommend using CMYK color space, but we also accept RGB.
- We recommend 300 DPI image resolution. Higher resolutions are acceptable.
- Submit one-page PDF file that includes:
- back cover
- front cover
- bleed area
- See width and height calculation below
- No crop or printers marks.
Spine size calculation
Spine width (in) = Number of pages X spine multiplier
- B&W with white paper: 0.002252
- B&W with cream paper: 0.00243
- COLOR with white paper: 0.002347
Example calculation for 100 pages, B&W book with cream paper:
100 pages X 0.00243 = 0.243"
Size and Margins
- Submit a one-page PDF file
- Size of the page should be fit to the trim size you set at metadata
- Add 0.125" (3 mm) bleed to all sides
- With calculation: bleed + width + spine + width + bleed
- Height calculation: bleed + height + bleed
Example size for 6x9" 100 pages, B&W book with cream paper:
- Spine: 0.243
- Bleed: 0.125
- Width: 6"
- Height: 9"
Width: 0.125 + 6 + 0.243 + 6 +0.125 = 12.49"
Height: 0.125 + 9 + 0.125 = 9.25"
- Submit a single-page PDF, not a spread or 2-up
- Page size in the PDF must fit the trim size you set in your metadata
- ALL FONTS must be embedded in all PDF files
- Exclude any crop or trim marks from the final interior as any such content will be printed on the final product
- Margins must be a minimum of 0.5” (13mm) from final trim size on outer sides
- For binding side, use the following margin depending on the page size:
- 24-150: 0.375"
- 151-300: 0.5"
- 301-500: 0.625
- 501-700: 0.75"
- 701-828: 0.875"
All page numbers should be ordered logically and sequentially, with even numbers on the left page and odd numbers on the right page. Any gap in the pagination should still account for each individual page so that all pages are accounted for as if there was no gap.
Color interior requirements
- Books with color inserts need to have black and white pages to be true black and white.
- Black-and-white images need to be saved as gray scale or single color black (with line art) and not registration black (made up of a build of CMYK).
- Don't use a spot color (like a spot black or a spot gray).
- Black-and-white pages without color images shouldn't be saved in an RGB color space or as a CMYK build.
- We recommend using CMYK color space, though we also accept RGB.
- To maintain accurate color reproduction, don't use spot colors.
Please avoid special characters and non-printable whitespaces. If you copy/paste your description, use "Paste as plain text" and format the text in the editor.
The following trim sizes available:
- 4,25"x7" (178mm x108mm)
- 4,37"x7" (178mm x111mm)
- 4,72"x7,48" (190mm x120mm)
- 5"x7" (178mm x127mm)
- 5"x8" (203mm x127mm)
- 5,06"x7,81" (198mm x129mm)
- 5,25"x8" (203mm x133mm)
- 5,5"x7,5" (191mm x140mm)
- 5,5"x8,25" (210mm x140mm)
- 5,5"x8,38" (213mm x140mm)
- 5,5"x8,5" (216mm x140mm)
- 5,83"x8,27" (210mm x148mm)
- 6"x9" (229mm x152mm)
- 6,14"x9,21" (234mm x156mm)
- 6,5"x6,5" (165mm x165mm)
- 6,625"x10,25" (260mm x168mm)
- 6,69"x9,61" (244mm x170mm)
- 7"x10" (254mm x178mm)
- 7,44"x9,69" (246mm x189mm)
- 7,5"x9,25" (235mm x191mm)
- 8"x8" (203mm x203mm)
- 8"x10" (254mm x203mm)
- 8"x10,88" (276mm x203mm)
- 8,25"x10,75" (273mm x210mm)
- 8,25"x11" (280mm x210mm)
- 8,5"x8,5" (216mm x216mm)
- 8,5"x9" (229mm x216mm)
- 8,5"x11" (280mm x216mm)