What do I need to submit?
To submit a valid POD book you need to upload two separate PDF files that we will use to print your book:
In addition to these files, you will also need to have an ISBN. We are currently unable to distribute print-on-demand publications without ISBNs. To get one, please contact your local ISBN agency.
- Submit a one-page PDF file that includes:
- back cover (optionally barcode)
- front cover
- bleed area
- See width and height calculation below
- No crop or printers marks
- File type: PDF
- We recommend using CMYK color space, but we also accept RGB
- We recommend 300 DPI image resolution. Higher resolutions are acceptable
Spine size calculation
Spine width (in) = Number of pages X spine multiplier
- B&W with white paper: 0.002252
- B&W with cream paper: 0.00243
- COLOR with white paper: 0.002347
Example calculation for 100 pages, B&W book with cream paper:
100 pages X 0.00243 = 0.243"
Size and Margins
- Submit a one-page PDF file
- Size of the page should be fit to the trim size you set at metadata
- Add 0.125" (3 mm) bleed to all sides
- With calculation: bleed + width + spine + width + bleed
- Height calculation: bleed + height + bleed
Example size for 6x9" 100 pages, B&W book with cream paper:
- Spine: 0.243
- Bleed: 0.125
- Width: 6"
- Height: 9"
Width: 0.125 + 6 + 0.243 + 6 +0.125 = 12.49"
Height: 0.125 + 9 + 0.125 = 9.25"
- Submit a single-page PDF, not a spread or 2-up
- Page size in the PDF must fit the trim size you set in your metadata
- ALL FONTS must be embedded in all PDF files
- Exclude any crop or trim marks from the final interior as any such content will be printed on the final product
- The content file must be at least 24 pages long
- Margins must be a minimum of 0.5” (13mm) from final trim size on outer sides
- For binding side, use the following margin depending on the page size:
- 24-150: 0.375"
- 151-300: 0.5"
- 301-500: 0.625
- 501-700: 0.75"
- 701-828: 0.875"
All page numbers should be ordered logically and sequentially, with even numbers on the left page and odd numbers on the right page. Any gap in the pagination should still account for each individual page so that all pages are accounted for as if there was no gap.
- Minimum page number: 24
- Maximum page number: There have always been limits, dictated by trim and paper choice. You can see them listed here: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834180
Color interior requirements
- Books with color inserts need to have black and white pages to be true black and white.
- Black-and-white images need to be saved as gray scale or single color black (with line art) and not registration black (made up of a build of CMYK).
- Don't use a spot color (like a spot black or a spot gray).
- Black-and-white pages without color images shouldn't be saved in an RGB color space or as a CMYK build.
- We recommend using CMYK color space, though we also accept RGB.
- To maintain accurate color reproduction, don't use spot colors.
- White 50lb paper - can be used for B&W and Color printings
- Creme 50lb paper - can be used only for B&W printing
- Glossy - rather used for non-fiction books
- Matte - rather used for fiction books
- Contributors of the book: author, editor, designer, etc.
- Series info (name, part)
- Is adult content
- Target audience
- Copyright info
- Publication date
- Distributors to be used
Unique identifier of the book released by ISBN agency: https://www.isbn-international.org/
The ISBN must be valid and real ISBN (another identifier will be rejected).
- All the POD distributors handle ISBNs exclusively: a particular ISBN can be submitted only once by one provider, you can not re-use it.
- The ISBN you use now with PublishDrive can not be re-used for later submission by other provider to the same POD distributors (e.g.: KDP, Ingramspark).
Please avoid special characters and non-printable whitespaces. If you copy/paste your description, use "Paste as plain text" and format the text in the editor.
The trim size defines the width and height of the physical book.
PublishDrive currently supports the following trim sizes (Width X Heights):
- 4,25"x7" (178mm x108mm)
- 4,37"x7" (178mm x111mm)
- 4,72"x7,48" (190mm x120mm)
- 5"x7" (178mm x127mm)
- 5"x8" (203mm x127mm)
- 5,06"x7,81" (198mm x129mm)
- 5,25"x8" (203mm x133mm)
- 5,5"x7,5" (191mm x140mm)
- 5,5"x8,25" (210mm x140mm)
- 5,5"x8,38" (213mm x140mm)
- 5,5"x8,5" (216mm x140mm)
- 5,83"x8,27" (210mm x148mm)
- 6"x9" (229mm x152mm)
- 6,14"x9,21" (234mm x156mm)
- 6,5"x6,5" (165mm x165mm)
- 6,625"x10,25" (260mm x168mm)
- 6,69"x9,61" (244mm x170mm)
- 7"x10" (254mm x178mm)
- 7,44"x9,69" (246mm x189mm)
- 7,5"x9,25" (235mm x191mm)
- 8"x8" (203mm x203mm)
- 8"x10" (254mm x203mm)
- 8"x10,88" (276mm x203mm)
- 8,25"x10,75" (273mm x210mm)
- 8,25"x11" (280mm x210mm)
- 8,5"x8,5" (216mm x216mm)
- 8,5"x9" (229mm x216mm)
- 8,5"x11" (280mm x216mm)
Amazon accepts books only with specific language. Currently, only the books with the following languages can be distributed on Amazon:
- Bokmål Norwegian
- Eastern Frisian
- Northern Frisian
- Nynorsk Norwegian
- Scottish Gaelic
PublishDrive currently supports perfect binding (softcover) only.
There is no minimum price, but it is useful to take into consideration the printing costs.
- Minimum list price: printing cost / 60% (royalty rate)
After submitting the work to the platform, PublishDrive staff performs technical checks (book review) on the metadata and the work’s files.
If any issue pops up then PD notifies the customer and gives details about the nature of the issues, and the steps that need to be taken. (In some specific cases PD may fix the files on its own)
After any fix, the work must be re-uploaded to the Platform.
When the book passes the review, the actual distribution can be started.